Family caregivers are often tasked with managing their aging loved ones’ medications. Studies show that 87% of seniors take one prescription drug, 36% take 5 or more, and 38% use over-the-counter medications. Taking medicine correctly is essential for treating our loved one’s health conditions and managing symptoms.
Putting a simple system in place that older adults can easily follow ensures they take their medicines on time and in the correct dose. Here are a few tips that can help prevent serious mishaps:
• If possible, use a single pharmacy
• Read all directions for each medication
• Use pill organizers
• Set up a reminder system
• Create a medication log that lists times and frequencies of medications
• Appoint a family member or close friend to check on the loved one
• Hire a home health care agency to help with medications
Medication management for seniors can be complicated, and keeping track of timing and doses is important to maintain health. It can be an overwhelming task for both older adults and families alike. Our skilled nursing care can help loved ones manage their medications safely and effectively. Call today to schedule an in-home consultation.